Winter Squash and Pumpkins
Winter Squash and Pumpkins are, in my opinion, some of the most undervalued of garden vegetables.
I don’t know.
Maybe people are afraid of the size – what would they do with them?
Or the amount of space they would potentially take up in the garden.
Maybe they think they are only good for pumpkin pie . . . and they buy that in a can!
They are missing out!
Reasons to grow your own winter squash and pumpkins
- Winter squash are beautiful, they come in all shapes, sizes, and colors! They are easy, and they are delicious.
- Pick any variety. There are SO MANY varieties! Anything that suits your needs. If you lack space, the smaller varieties can be trellised. There are also bush varieties available.
- They are easy to grow! Plant the seed and mulch. That’s about it! Such a simple process for a huge return.
- Space they use in the garden is well worth it for the return! One or two plants will keep your family in squash for the whole winter. . . unless you can’t resist all of the beautiful varieties and you go squash/pumpkin crazy! In that case, I hope you have a lot of friends who love squash that you can share with! Or maybe you can get a spot at your local farmers market? Whatever the case, they give you a lot of produce for the space they take! One year, planting in a brand new deep-mulch bed, we harvested 10 – thirty-pound squash from one plant!
- They are absolutely delicious! Have you noticed the pumpkin spice craze that hits everywhere in the fall? You can do the same things with your own pumpkin at home for just a little work. The trade-off for the work?
- You can enjoy your pumpkin spice latte whenever you want, as often as you like. In your pajamas, with no makeup, if you like!
- Your pumpkin spice donuts can be a healthy version, packed with tons of real pumpkin flavor!
- Heavenly pumpkin spice smoothies will only cost you pennies!
- Your pumpkin spice pancakes and muffins can be frozen, to enjoy anytime you need a fast fix!
I think that’s a pretty sweet deal . . . 🙂
And that is the why of the matter,
Now for the How
If I have convinced you that you need to grow winter squash and pumpkins. Or if you already have them in your garden and need ideas for harvesting, storing, preserving, or serving them; join me over at Minnesota Country Girl where I have the privilege of guest posting for Homesteading Winter Prep: A Series Of Harvesting And Preserving!
So, go on over there where I share ideas on when and how to harvest and store your winter squash as well as ways to preserve it and ideas for using it in the kitchen!
The series is chalk full of great tips and ideas! Check them all out!